Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Tessellation boxes: Square twist

It's fascinating about origami how just a simple change of a fold or a crease can give a completely new and unexpected result. I have been working with the very basic design of the traditional Masu box and by applying a single tessellation technique to the sheet folded into the lid I got an incredible number or different designs. In my last post I showed you some of the box-lids I designed from the 90-degree pleat intersection tessellation technique. In this post are images of some of the boxes I designed and folded with another tessellation technique called the Square Twist.
The square twist is very common in origami tessellations and quite easy to do after you have wrapped your head around it once. For the boxes below I both apply the technique in rows (the pink box) and in in layers (the other three boxes). 

Organic box: three layers of square twist on a grid of 32 x 32.
Propeller box: two layers of square twist on a grid of 16 x 16.
Pyramid box: three layers of square twist on a grid of 32 x 32.
Diamond box: three square twists on a grid of 26 x 32.

After last months box folding adventures I have loads of different gift boxes to use for all occasions. If you are interested in making boxes yourself here below is a video tutorial I made of one of my designs from my last blog post. Like all the other boxes the sheet for the lid is pre-creased and folded to make the cross and then folded the same way as the traditional Masu box. The box isn't difficult to make, the first try might take some time but after that the folding will run smoothly.


Until next time. Happy folding!

2 comments:

  1. What paper did you use for the lavender patterned boxes shown in the screen grab of your youtube video? It's divine!
    Also, people might comment more if they didn't have to sign-in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miele,
      I really can't remember where I got that paper. I probably just ordered it from some retailer on Amazon.
      I didn't know that people had to sign-in to comment! Thank you for letting me know :) I'll try to fix that.

      Delete