Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A little box of chocolates

My best friend's birthday was this month and I wanted to give her something nice for the occasion. She is living in another continent (well, I'm living on an island in the middle of no-were) so in order to keep shipping expenses down the present needed to be fairly light. So this year I decided to send her an origami present. 
Recently I have been folding origami boxes from a really nice book called Fabulous Origami Boxes by Tomoko Fuse and believe me the title is NOT an exaggeration. I took one of the boxes I had already made and filled it with four Kawasaki Roses that I folded. Then I put one piece of Belgian chocolates into each rose. So there I had a little box of chocolates.

konfektkassi

Origami rósir

Belgíst konfekt


The book Fabulous Origami Boxes is available as a pdf document online for free and here is the LINK to it. It is also sold used on Amazon for those who prefer the printed version. The author, Tomoko Fuse, is a kind of an origami rock star and has published a variety of books worth looking at. I have added here below the books published in English that are listed on the Wikipedia site dedicated to her.

  • "Spiral: Origami/Art/Design", Viereck Verlag, 2012
  • Floral Origami Globes, Japan Publications Trading, May 18, 2007
  • Origami Rings & Wreaths: A Kaleidoscope of 28 Decorative Origami Creations, Japan Publications Trading, Nov 2007 
  • Kusudama Origami, Japan Publications, Sep 2002
  • Fabulous Origami Boxes, Japan Publications, July 1998 
  • Quick and Easy Origami Boxes, Japan Publications 1994
  • Unit Origami: Multidimensional Transformation, Japan Publications, April 1990

The Kawasaki Rose is, as the name tells us, designed by Toshikazu Kawasaki. This rose is rather complicated to fold but the final result is amazing. I particularly like that the rose is hollow and closes on the bottom like a box so it can be filled with little treats without damaging the structure of the rose.
Follow this LINK to find video instructions on how to fold the Kawasaki Rose.

Happily my friend really liked her present! High five for that!
Later.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. twix chocolate price

    ReplyDelete