Thursday, February 6, 2014

My birthday cake history


After I had my first daughter I found myself in a new world of children's birthday parties and having to adopt the role of a hostess for these kind of celebrations. At first this role was difficult and at times nerve wrecking but with every new birthday party it has become easier. I try to make every birthday party special and in some way different from the ones before. One way to do that is to make memorable birthday cakes.
My first cake was baked in a teddy bear tin with Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix. It did't turn out the way I had hoped. The cake was dry and partly burned. I had trouble getting it out of the tin so it broke (which I know now does not matter because you just glue it back together with the butter cream), so I got all upset and irritated. Needless to say most of the kids only just tasted the dry thing and one even complained of it having to much butter cream (I thought you could never have too much butter cream)! But it looked pretty cute.
After that fiasco I begun to make my own cakes from scratch and in stead of using formed tins I formed the cakes myself. I tried my hands on fondant but now I prefer to use only butter cream. Following is the cake history in chronological order. Keep in mind that these aren't the best of images because they were never intended to be published. :)

Betty Crocker bangsa kaka
Betty Crocker dry and burnt teddy bear.
Barbapabba og Barbavís sykurmassa kaka
Barbapapa and Barbalib fondant cake.
Brúsi úr Leikfangasögu 3 sykurmassa kaka
Lotso (from Toy Story 3) fondant cake.
Mía litla sykurmassa kaka
Little My (from the Moomins) fondant cake.
Prinsessu kaka
Princess with a butterfly in her hair (a special request from my daughter).
Smjörkrems súkkulaðikaka
Butter cream chocolate cake with candy.
Smjörkrems súkkulaðikaka
Butter cream chocolate cake with candy and home made chocolate sea animals.
Smjörkrems súkkulaðikaka
Butter cream chocolate cake with candy, origami crane and sparkles.

As you can see I have discarded the fondant and begun to work only with butter cream. And abandoned the cartoon figures for geometrical shapes and patterns. The main reason is that it takes longer and its more difficult to prepare the fondant cakes but also because I just lovE loVE LOVE to make PATTERNS and it's incredibly easy with butter cream.
The recipe for this cake, that is the latest (and the best) version, can be found in my earlier blog post.

Chao for now!





1 comment:

  1. I love your Little My cake! Do you have instructions on how to do it? It's my son's 4th Birthday coming up and he loves the Moomins, especially Little My

    ReplyDelete