Thursday, March 6, 2014

Paper Crown

Finally I have made a new video!
 I have been struggling with technical issues but most are resolved now. I have managed to get better sound (that one was a major headache!!) and higher frame rate so now I can make better quality videos. However, the silly awkward pronunciation is still there hehe, and is probably not going anywhere so if it annoys you just hit the mute button ;). I must say that making tutorial videos has proven to be more complicated than I thought but I will get the hang of it gradually.

My new video is a tutorial on how to fold a modular crown. Modular simply means that it's made from a number of units that are usually all alike (but not always) that are assembled in a certain way to form the final model. This crown is very easy to make and doesn't take much time to do. The bigger and fewer modules the quicker to make. You might have seen a simpler version of this crown but I added a simple detail to the modules to make it more interesting. Check out the video here below and please give me some feedback by commenting or liking/disliking the video.




As this is a super simple crown its also incredibly easy to make variations of it. For each module you need a square sheet of paper of what ever size you choose and the number of sheets depends on how big you want your crown to be. So if you want to make a crown that is 56 cm in circumference with 8 modules you will need sheets that are 14 x 14 cm (half of each module counts in the circumference the other half slides into the next one). Here below are some variations I made.


7 modules folded from 15 x 15 cm sheets of paper
Circumference 52,7 cm 
8 modules folded from 14 x 14 cm sheets of paper.
Circumference 56 cm
14 modules folded from 7,5 x 7,5 cm sheets of paper
Circumference 52,5 cm

14 modules folded from thirteen 7,5 x 7,5 cm sheets of paper
and one 7,5 x 15 cm sheet of paper
Circumference 52,5 cm

This last crown has a center module that is taller than the rest and has to be folded in a different way than the other modules. I haven't yet made instructions on how to fold it but will hopefully have time soon.
One final tip: If you make the crown and want to wear it I recommend that you glue the modules together. Origami enthusiasts usually frown upon using glue for origami models but if you don't want the crown falling apart while you take some seriously royal moves on the dance floor it might be better to use glue!

I hope you enjoy the video.
Until later!




No comments:

Post a Comment